Support Public Libraries Campaign
Public Libraries Need Our Support!
Across the country, far-right wing groups are attacking libraries for having collections with books that acknowledge and celebrate the experiences of LGBTQ+ folks, Black history, and social justice movements. Some groups are going so far as to force schools and libraries to remove these books from the shelves.
We must protect our libraries and support librarians who are standing up for truth and making public libraries a welcoming place for everyone!
Prescott Indivisible is taking action by hosting a monthly “Support Public Libraries” day of action on the first Saturday of every month. Please RSVP and see our newsletter and website for details on time/location.
Host Your Own Event!
Every librarian across the county needs our support, so we encourage everyone to stop by their local library to thank local librarians for their work (perhaps bring them cookies or another treat!) and post photos and supportive messages on social media. If your local library is closed on Saturday, please go during the week to show your appreciation. Not sure where your closest public library is? You can see the complete list here: https://www.yln.info/
If you want to organize an event at your library and want help getting out the word, create an event using our Support Public LIbrary campaign event page. We will help publicize the event in our newsletter and on our website.
These events don’t have to be big events! If you’ve ever organized a party or a BBQ, you have all the skills you need to participate in the “Support Public Libraries” day of action! They could be:
- You and one or two friends go to the library and deliver some thank you notes and treats to local librarians, then take a few pictures with supportive messages and post on social media.
- You ask all your friends and family to go with you, and 10 of you show up to the library with signs. While 1-2 folks go inside to deliver thank you notes and treats, everyone else stands outside and gets people to honk to support the library. And of course, you take lots of pictures and post on social media.
We encourage you to make your own signs of support, but we will also be making some signs for anyone to use. Signs will be available to pick up at our monthly General Meetings. Please stop by!
How do I help get out the word?
Please tag Prescott Indivisible:
- Twitter/X: @IndivisPrescott
- Facebook: @PrescottIndivisiblepublicpage
- Instagram/Threads: @prescott_indivisible
Use the hashtags #SupportLibraries #SupportLibrarians #MoreBooksLessHate
ALA Banned & Challenged Books: https://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks
Libraries for the People: https://www.librariesforthepeople.org/
Take Action: https://action.everylibrary.org/
I Love Libraries (an initiative of the ALA): https://ilovelibraries.org/